We have inherited a rich methodology of facilitating learning from SNL DePaul University. After 8 years of partnership we are trying to adopt the competence-based learning methodology to our new BA to be awarded by Kenya. We are interested to get suggestions on how to build demonstrations of competence.  We want our graduates to be able to give performance evidence of their learning at the point of graduation.

Our usual way of determining demonstration is through exams,which over the years we have come to know it doesn't really test authentically.

Views: 11

Replies to This Discussion

Any references to scholarly articles about this topic would be very helpful.

Hi Alice,

I think you mentioned that this is a leadership/business degree. Here are some things that schools have done so that their students have tangible evidence of their learning:

1. Westminster College has a competence-based MBA degree that is project based. Graduates can thus point to their projects as demonstrations of the competencies that they have attained. Here is their description of their program: https://westminstercollege.edu/pdf/mba/Project-Based%20Learning%20W...
  2. Lipscomb University uses behavioral assessment at the start of their program to assess work-place related skills, including "soft skills" that can be hard to test for. I've attached a profile of their program below. This kind of simulation-based assessment is quite common in medical education. See, for example, http://journals.lww.com/academicmedicine/Fulltext/2003/01000/Assess...
  3. At DePaul, we are moving toward using electronic portfolios as a way both to assess student learning and to give students a way to showcase what they know and can do.

Hope this helps spur your thinking. I look forward to hearing about you decide to do.

Best,

Michelle

Attachments:

RSS

Latest Activity

Profile IconDoris C. Rusch, Susan C Flynn and Alison Henderson joined Center to Advance Education for Adults
5 hours ago
Tammy is now a member of Center to Advance Education for Adults
yesterday
Dave Lee is now a member of Center to Advance Education for Adults
Jun 14
Tyharrie Woods (Hill) is now a member of Center to Advance Education for Adults
Jun 5

© 2017   Created by Pamela Meyer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service