Finding, Creating and Sustaining Learning Communities

On March 12, 2013 we gathered to continue our collaborative inquiry on our experiences, roles and responsibilities in creating learning communities. 

The session included a brief panel discussion where long-time participants in learning communities shared their insights: 
  • Patrizia Acerra, Executive Director, International Voices Project (Celebrating Voices of Playwrights from around the Globe)
  • Jen Bradburn, Global Curriculum Manager, Mobile at Google
  • Bruce Mabee, Managing Partner, Milestone Partners
  • Leodis Scott, Ed.D., DePaul University & LearnLong.org
Graphic Facilitator, Brandy Agerbeck mapped our conversation. The image of the map is below and can also be downloaded and shared.
Please continue to share your insights, experiences and reflections by posting replies to this forum.

Views: 127

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've been thinking about Pat Acerra's comment about how in the theater community, when someone claims a role (e.g. "I am a producer") that person is both assumed to have the skills and knowledge to do that role AND is assuming responsibility to learn that role. This seems to be a wonderfully dynamic relationship to constructing and taking responsibility for our roles and for learning them. I am thinking about ways to foster that in other settings and learning communities.

I have not stopped tossing around how "Utility" and "Humanity" can affect (or infect) each other (see the top right corner of Brandy's big pic).  So often, these become opposing forces, a forced choice in allocating time, money and energy. Yet, when I step back, or get help from my community to step back, I can make a much more creative effort.

I want to take the extra effort to set up logistics in ways that enhance, and do not hurt, peoples' spirit. And that spirit can help us create much more efficient, as well as humanistic, logistics!

Thanks to the CAEA Learning Communities session to spark me on this!

Bruce

RSS

Latest Activity

Michelle Gathren is now a member of Center to Advance Education for Adults
yesterday
Profile IconALEXANDRIA DOWNEY, Abigail Baker and Lisa Whitney joined Center to Advance Education for Adults
Mar 8
Michelle Navarre Cleary joined Pamela Meyer's group
Thumbnail

Community Engagement Network

This group is for participants in the Community Engagement Network (CEN).See More
Feb 2
Aida Craciunean is now a member of Center to Advance Education for Adults
Oct 28, 2016

© 2017   Created by Pamela Meyer.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service